What Others Say

"Thank you for the words of wisdom in today’s Abilene Reporter News. In the midst of wars violence and pandemics, your words were so soft spoken and calming."

Monday, July 29, 2013

The Birth

George Alexander Louis was born on Monday, July 22 at 4:24 PM. The future king of England weighed 8lbs and 6oz. The announcement was placed on an easel outside Buckingham Palace. The next day the Royal guard fired a 62 gun salute at the Tower of London and a 41 gun salute at Green Park in honor of the newborn prince.  The bells at Westminster Abbey rang for three hours and the world celebrated.

Two years ago I wrote about William and Kate when they beamed into each other’s eyes and repeated their vows.  Last week they were both beaming as they presented their baby boy to the world.   

Every mother who has given birth and every father who has held his infant son or daughter knows that every birth is a miracle. When I held each of my children in my arms I was overcome with the same thought: “This is my flesh breathing in another breast, my heart beating in another chest, my blood flowing in a child at rest.”

God created us male and female and blessed us with the miracle of procreation.  Every one of us is the result of this mysterious design since the beginning of creation, the union of a man and a woman producing a new and unique life.   

When David reflected on this profound mystery he wrote, “You wove me in my mother’s womb.  I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.   My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.” (Psalm 139).

Just as the world celebrated the birth of England’s young prince, God celebrates the birth of every baby that is born.  They are precious in his sight. If every hair of our head is numbered, and if a single sparrow does not fall without His knowledge, how much more does God treasure the first cry of every infant born in the most obscure village or the poorest slum.

Of course there is one birth that defines all others.  Every event in history is dated in reference to it. By His birth our own life is elevated to eternal significance and we find our connection with the Creator.

The prophets predicted His birth saying,  “ For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” The angel announced it, “she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment