What Others Say

"Thank you for the words of wisdom in today’s Abilene Reporter News. In the midst of wars violence and pandemics, your words were so soft spoken and calming."

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Fathers and Our Future

 I have been reflecting on fathers as we approach Father’s Day next Sunday.  We live in a neighborhood with many young families.  Few sights bring me more pleasure than seeing fathers enjoying their children. Some on walks pushing strollers alongside their wives, the family dog on a leash; others playing catch or shooting hoops in their front yard; some on bikes leading their young families through the park and others splashing amid the squeals of laughter in our neighborhood pool.

 When we moved into our house six years ago, our neighbor directly across the street was a single young man in his twenties.  He had three other guys living with him. But, soon after he met a girl. We had them over for dinner.  They fell in love. The guys moved out and during Covid their wedding was the only public event we attended.  A year later they had a son, and, a year after that, another.  Now he is one of the proud fathers I watch pouring his life into his children.

 Another couple in their early thirties moved in.  The men joined me on our back deck for fellowship and prayer.  The older of the two shared with me that he and his wife had deep desire to for children but  struggled with infertility.  We began to pray.  We prayed for two years.  A year ago, she gave birth to one of the most beautiful baby girls I have ever seen.  Their abounding joy is contagious.  That baby girl has her father wrapped around her little finger.  He can’t stop grinning.

 Occasionally I scan the news: social media, the newspaper, an occasionally newscast on TV.  It is mostly depressing and confusing. But when I watch young families and listen to the laughter of children, my faith is renewed, hope abounds. 

 Last week I watched Scottie Scheffler claim the Memorial trophy at Jack Nicklaus’ signature golf tournament in Ohio.  After he sank his tournament winning putt, he was far more interested in finding his wife and his 1-month-old son than he was in receiving the trophy or shaking hands with the legendary Nicklaus. It was his first win as a father.

 When he launched his career with multiple wins, Scheffler said, “The reason why I play golf is I’m trying to glorify God and all that He’s done in my life. So, for me, my identity isn’t a golf score.” 

 The prophet Malachi foretold the coming of the “forerunner” who would prepare the way for the Messiah. “Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord.  He will [a]restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers,” (Malachi 4:5-6).

 Perhaps Jeremiah’s exhortation to the exiles expresses the hope of our generation and its future: “Take wives and become the fathers of sons and daughters, and take wives for your sons and give your daughters to husbands, that they may bear sons and daughters; and multiply there and do not decrease. Seek the ]welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare,” (Jeremiah 29:5-7).

No comments:

Post a Comment